Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Introducing Titus Matthew.....




Sharing a birthday with his grandfather (my dad)
October 26, 2013
8 lbs, 5 oz
21 inches
25 hour labor... BUT...
easy-peasy recovery (mostly back to normal now, 2 weeks later)


I have to admit that Titus' delivery did not go the way that I had planned or thought it might go. It started when my water broke on Friday night while getting Georgia ready for bed. It was the one scenario that I had not really thought through. I had no contractions and was tired after a long day. We debated staying home or going to the hospital, but I knew that we should go in. So, we took a little nap and went into the hospital around 1am on Saturday morning. I had not dilated at all since my appointment on the previous Tuesday.

We had a very long night walking the hallways of the hospital, trying to get some contractions started. But pretty much we were exhausted and didn't sleep all night. By noonish, I still was nowhere close and had no contractions. I agreed to start pitocin. By 4pm I was done. Exhausted, tired. I thought for sure I was in transition because of how I felt. So I was very discouraged when I was told I was only 5cm. I ordered an epidural and asked they turn off the pitocin so I could get some sleep. They also started antibiotics because it had been 18 hours since my water had broken. 

They were able to start the pitocin up again after my epidural was in place. Finally sometime that evening I could feel the need to push. They called my doctor who left a fancy dinner (complete with a nice shirt/tie on!) to come deliver.  Pushing was as bad as I remember it being. I kept falling asleep between contractions and didn't have energy to even open my eyes. Thanks to my doctor, Titus was born after 25 hours of labor, and only requiring 2 stitches. He was almost 2.5 pounds heavier than Georgia!

Interesting fact - both Georgia and Titus were born at 40weeks, 3 days - both in the 8pm hour!

Titus has been a more difficult baby than Georgia. Although Georgia was probably close to a perfect baby. He has some fussiness issues and I have cut dairy and gluten out of my diet to see if that helps his digestive system. He has slightly redish hair and very red skin. He is also pretty hairy. He had a doctors appointment this week and he weighed in at 10 pounds, 1 oz and almost 22 inches. He sleeps pretty well at night, usually going to bed between 10 and 11 and waking up at 6:30 or so. He will wake up once around 2 or 3 to feed. He likes to cluster feed in the evenings, and will sometimes nurse for 2 hours on and off before he falls asleep. He doesn't take a pacifier :(   I wish he did!

He has excellent head control and is starting to track things with his eyes. His eyes are a bluish-gray color. I am trying to start the process of "sleep training" by having him take naps in his crib, when possible. He falls asleep (most times) in the car. When he is awake, most of the time he is grumpy. Thankfully he doesn't cry a lot, and when he does cry his cry is low and quiet. We are looking forward to a few weeks down the road when he will start to smile.

3 comments:

andrea said...

Congratulations! I didn't know you were pregnant, so exciting!

Steph said...

Congratulations - your labor sounds almost identical to mine!

Sarah Hall said...

Congratulations again! My water broke first with Elise and I remember walking the halls ALL DAY to get my labor going...very exhausting with little progress. Your labor was much longer than mine however (mine was 16 hours) and for me the pitocin they finally gave me worked really really fast. I have no clue what's going to happen this time but I really hope my water doesn't break before labor begins because that seems a lot harder. Can't wait to meet him!!