Saturday, January 8, 2011

1 month old

Well, we're now at about 5 weeks 6 weeks. That's what I get for procrastinating being a mom....

A little update on Georgia, for those of you who are interested. It is so neat to watch her grow up and become a little person. She is going to be an extrovert like her father - she loves getting out of the house, going for walks in the stroller or Moby. She loves looking around and has trouble sleeping because she's so interested in the world around her (and the people there, too).

She has been smiling socially for the last week or two. That has to be one of the neatest things ever - going to get her out of the crib and having her smile at me. She *seems* to have a sense of humor (well, as much as a 6-week-old can have), laughing and smiling at times when mommy and daddy are frantic about something:

A few days ago when Dave and Tim (my brother) and I were in London, we stopped for a bite to eat by Buckingham Palace. There was a small bathroom, so I took Georgia to change her diaper. I had just finished, when I noticed her pants were wet. Confused, I looked for the source of the problem and I saw that I had not fastened her diaper tight enough, and the brand-new diaper that I had put on less than 30 seconds earlier was now wet and soaking through to her pants. I gave her a "scolding", a little tickle and pulled the pants off to start again. She gave me the biggest smile... makes me think she knew all along what she was doing :-)
 (taken on her one-month birthday - and in the outfit she wore at the hospital!)

I went to the Health Clinic here this week to have her "month" check-up (although thanks to Christmas break, it was really more like a 5-week check-up). All they did was weigh her, but she is now a hefty 10lbs 1oz. She is eating really well (if that weight didn't give that away!) and starting to look pretty fat. She was born at 6 pounds, so gaining 4 pounds in a month is amazing....

She got her first cold this week, thanks to Dave. She is still a fairly happy baby, sleeping and eating a bit more than normal. Her poor nose is completely stuffed, but I have a wonderful snot-sucker that keeps up. She had a bit of a fever, but some cool wash clothes helped cool her down.

Yesterday she actually started moving. She was laying on the couch next to me when all of a sudden she rolled over onto her side. Yes, she was on a slight incline, but still I was very surprised. I put her back, a little bit further away from the cushion crack, and she did it a second time! Here's a photo of her :-) She did this all on her own! I think she just wanted to be close to mommy.
 We're trying to stick to the schedule of eat, play and sleep. I don't schedule specific times for these activities, our day depends on what time I can get out of bed in the morning. It seems like we've been feeding 9 (usually when we wake up in the morning), noon, 3, 6 and nine and then putting her to bed. Again, this is a pretty loose estimate, and really depends on what time she wakes up in the morning. The best she does at night is 5 hours from the beginning of a feeding to the beginning of another feeding. This means that I get a 4-hour stretch of sleep at night. The rest of the feedings at night are usually a 4 hour one and then a three hour one. 

She is also slowly loosing her hair. I'm worried she's going to end up looking like this: 
But seriously, she only seems to be loosing hair on the top and sides of her head. I'm pretty sure she'll have a mullet in a month or so.

Anyways, that's probably way more than enough for her one month post....we're in love and can't wait for everyone to meet her!


Gail Wallace said...

These are adorable! I didn't think she could get any cuter, but just look at her now :) Love you guys!

Andrea, said...

She's so cute :).

I really want to get that NoseFrida thing that you have, bulb syringes are difficult.