Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Our trip to California, part 1

I know this will be a multiple-part series. I have probably over 1000 pictures from our trip. Don't worry... I won't subject you to that, but it does mean that a lot happened.

We left London on Thursday morning. Georgia was a bit grumpy in the car ride to the airport, and had been grumpy a couple of days previous, too. I think she was teething. The transit time is 17 hours, door to door (which is a very, very long time) and with the time change, its a 36 hour day. So. Long.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
We had so much fun seeing our old friends. Georgia had some fun, too!

On the flight, we had two seats, and held Georgia in our lap. We do not travel lightly anymore and had three large carry-ons, plus the baby and stroller. Once on the plane, she did have a half hour nap right after we took off, and I breathed a sigh of relief. She didn't want to nurse at all. Not once. Thankfully I brought my pump, and it was a bit awkward with the business class people (who face backwards at those of us sitting in the first economy class seats) staring at me as I pumped (under a nursing cover).

We enjoyed the weather, walking to dinner on Friday night. Mmmm... American food!

Anyways, long story short, G did not eat or sleep. I put her in the Ergo and walked around and around the plane and she slept for about 30 minutes halfway through the flight. Once we landed and got in the car, she slept for about 30 minutes on the ride home. Needless to say, she was miserable. By the time we got to the Wallace house, she was crying. A lot. And she normally doesn't cry. We knew she was tired, so we tried to lay her down, and she just screamed.

The highlight of the trip was spending time with family.

She spent most of the night in our bed. She thought it was morning at 4am and spent an hour crawling between Dave and I, eventually falling back asleep curled up next to us. It took about 3 nights of this before she adjusted to the time change.

We had so much fun seeing everyone. We had a party on Saturday to see Dave's side of the family, and it was the first time all 7 great-grandchildren were together. Aren't they all so cute?!! Someday we'll move back here so all our kids can grow up together....

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

On Sunday, we went to our church and it was so good to worship with people and see everyone! After church, we headed down to the beach, because Dave's parents had rented a beach house for the rest of the week.Can I just say that there is nothing as relaxing as being at the beach?? Nothing! It was absolutely gorgeous. We went the perfect week. The week previous and the week after we were there it was about 10 degrees cooler and cloudy. We had sunshine and warm weather the whole week. Amazing!

More pictures from the beach to come....

1 comment:

Gail Wallace said...

Yes, it was a perfect week at the beach! Let's do it again next summer :) And make that meringue dessert again....you should post that on here if you haven't already!