Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Dresser Part 2


I have now been working on the dresser for a few days. It has been stripped of the paint and sanded as best as I can. The next thing I do is to paint it a dark brown color. The top of the dresser is a laminate, not wood, so painting it was a little difficult. Anyways, here are some pictures of what I've been doing. This picture is a drawer. It has been sanded and is ready for painting. It is a beautiful wood!


Along with doing the dresser, I also painted the handles. They were an ugly gold color (from the 70s), and with some metallic spray paint, I drastically changed their look.


It took a few days of sanding and scraping to get the dresser to where I wanted it to be. Finally, I was able to paint the first coat. I chose Behr Spiceberry. It is a dark chocolatey brown.


If you notice, I didn't paint the whole dresser that brown color. There are still a few spots where the original wood shows through. That is because I want to distress it and have the wood show through in some spots and the brown show through in others.


When I was done painting the brown, I covered the top (remember - laminate!) in a thing called Weathered Crackle Glaze. I got it at Lowe's, but I believe that have it at Home Depot, too. You can see the glaze on the picture. It is shiny colored, compated to the dull brown. I did not cover the entire dresser in the glaze. I didn't want the whole thing to be crackled, just in certain spots. After the stuff dried, I began painting the top coat. I chose Behr Awning Red. It is an awesome, bright red color.


When I paint over it with the red, you can see the brown from underneath. See how the brown is showing through? That is thanks to the crackle glaze. Coming soon is the big reveal!



No comments: