Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Journey

For the past year or two, I felt as though God were preparing us to do something. Something big. Maybe go somewhere. Maybe give something. I searched for it. I tried different jobs, talked about it with friends, tossed around different ideas with Dave, but still didn't know what it was.

During the same time, one of my friends introduced me to her. This lady (I don't even know her name!) reminds me of myself. She had plans for her life - what it would look like, what her family would be like, where she would live, what she would do. Yet God's plans are bigger than ours and the things that she planned did not happen. It was difficult, but she finally began to trust God and He blessed her with peace and trust. Her life is still hard and she has struggles, but she has so much joy and love that exudes from her. And as I read, I realize I want that.

The last year was not how Dave or I expected it. I thought I would have a full time job. That didn't happen. Maybe just a good job? No.... I thought we would have a baby. Nope. At least be pregnant? nope again. Maybe Dave would be happy at his job? Eh.... on and off. Long story short, the year did not end up how we pictured it. And yet there were days I felt content. I felt blessed because I knew that God was using those difficult times in my life to teach me and prepare me for what was coming next.

For example, because I don't have kids, I am able to work with the 7th and 8th graders at our church. And I love them all. Over the last year they have become like my own children. I have cried for them, rejoiced with them, prayed for them and tried to teach them from the lessons I had learned. I have gone to camp with them, had sleepovers, gone to the mall, got coffee, unlimited text messaging, beach trips, singing Taylor Swift (oh well, I do that for myself, too).

Anyways, God has opened a door - he has revealed a tiny part of our journey. Dave has accepted a job that requires we move to London. We are in the process of packing and tying up all the loose ends. We will probably be leaving sometime in March or April. It is a two year job, and we are so excited to be following God in this adventure! I have been looking for ministry opportunities and/or jobs in the area. I am sure that God has something for us there whether it is in our future neighborhood, in the church we will attend or the people we run into.

Please be in prayer for us as we take this first step in our journey. We are very excited about all that is happening, but there are still many things to work out. Pray for Dave's negotiating to go well and for us to be taken care of in that aspect. Pray for me to find a "job" or somewhere I can volunteer or serve. Pray for our condo to be rented to a wonderful Christian family. Pray that we find a place to live that is in a good neighborhood. Pray that we will continue to listen to God as he guides us in this process.

Oftentimes, I want an ordinary life. I daydream about my house with a yard and 2.5 children and the rest of the "American Dream". But then I think about how awesome a life with God can be. Its exhilarating, rewarding, and joyful. Its so much more than what I can ever picture. I know I wasn't made to be ordinary.

4 comments:

MV said...

Wow, what an amazing opportunity. Best wishes.

Gail Wallace said...

Isn't it amazing to see God's plan come into being? I'm sad to see you go, but excited to see you energized about this great opportunity!

Anonymous said...

I'm sad to see you go too...You're like a mom to every girl in 8th grade...We'll miss you but its such an opportunity!! expect around 730 cards, fb messages, emails and letters! Know we love you and support everything you do!

Carrie Troyer said...

It's been a blessing to journey with you as you've saught God's calling and waited on him the past few years. We are so excited for you, will pray, and are excited for those who you will have a chance to minister to in London. We love you friends!